History

The early years until 1990
zumtobel group
Dr. Walter Zumtobel
Dr. Walter Zumtobel
    zumtobel group
    1953 - PROFILUX
    1953 - PROFILUX
      zumtobel group
      1963 - "FER" Einbauleuchte
      1963 - "FER" Einbauleuchte
        zumtobel group
        1970 - Opening Plant II in Dornbirn and 20th anniversary; Gertrud and Dr. Walter Zumtobel
        1970 - Opening Plant II in Dornbirn and 20th anniversary; Gertrud and Dr. Walter Zumtobel
          zumtobel group
          1981 - painting robot
          1981 - painting robot
            zumtobel group
            1983 - PC electronic ballast
            1983 - PC electronic ballast
              zumtobel group
              1984 - Eröffnung Werk in Garfield, New Jersey, USA; Dr. Walter Zumtobel
              1984 - Eröffnung Werk in Garfield, New Jersey, USA; Dr. Walter Zumtobel
                zumtobel group
                1988 - Hanover Fair
                1988 - Hanover Fair
                  1950
                  Dr. Walter Zumtobel founds "Elektrogeräte- und Kunstharzpreßwerk W. Zumtobel KG" in Dornbirn, Austria; the company produces ballasts for the newly introduced fluorescent light fittings.

                  1953
                  Introduction of Profilux, the first complete Zumtobel light fitting.

                  1959
                  First trip to the USA by Dr. Walter Zumtobel; visit to U.S. luminaire manufacturer Daybright in St. Louis.

                  1963
                  The first international design award for a Zumtobel product (the FER recessed luminaire).

                  1969
                  Jürg and Fritz Zumtobel are appointed General Partners of Zumtobel KG.

                  1970
                  The company celebrates its 20th anniversary and opens the first section of Plant II in Dornbirn.

                  1976
                  Zumtobel becomes a stock corporation (Aktiengesellschaft) and acquires a minority stake in the British company Tridonic Ltd. (the remaining shares are acquired in 1983).

                  1981
                  A painting robot – the very first in Austria – is used at Zumtobel AG’s Plant II in Dornbirn.

                  1981
                  Dr. Walter Zumtobel retires from the Management Board of Zumtobel AG and is elected Chairman of the Supervisory Board. Jürg Zumtobel succeeds him as Chairman of the Management Board.

                  1983
                  The first electronic ballasts are manufactured (first in the world to be compatible with argon and krypton fluorescent tubes).

                  1983
                  The Zumtobel group acquires all the remaining shares in Tridonic Ltd.

                  1984
                  Establishment of Zumtobel Lighting Inc. in Garfield, New Jersey, USA.

                  1984
                  At the Hanover Fair, the Electrical Components Division of Zumtobel AG presents the first generation of electronic transformers for low-voltage halogen lamps developed in-house.

                  1985
                  Zumtobel AG commissions ist first two CAD workstations for tool and luminaire design.

                  1989
                  Introduction of the first corporate mission statement of Zumtobel AG. The statement includes guidelines and principles for an active corporate culture and defines corporate values that are binding for both management and staff.

                  1989
                  Establishment of the Spanish sales company, Zumtobel Iberica S.A., in Madrid, which proves especially successful in the key account sector.
                  close
                  next
                  |
                  previous
                  add to download list